Timeline

1835
St Leonard’s Church founded (King Street) as “Chapel of Ease” (‘new charge’) to serve Perth’s rapidly growing population

1843
May: the Disruption: in matters of principle over church governance, and the right of congregations to choose their minister, over 450 ministers leave Church of Scotland to form Free Church of Scotland: among them, Reverend John Milne of St Leonard’s is followed by the vast majority of his congregation. For some months they meet in borrowed premises, but by December they have built their own church and halls – corner of Victoria Street and Scott Street (and directly opposite Perth’s Gasworks)

1860s
Congregation of Free St Leonard’s establishes a Building Fund: by early 1880s, this has reached a level sufficient to take matters forward

1882
Site at Marshall Place acquired
Architectural competition: several experienced Scots ecclesiastical architects are asked to submit designs for the new Free St Leonard’s: six entries are received: John James Stevenson appointed architect

1883
Building work commences

1884
27 March: laying of Memorial Stone (in base of tower above main door)

1885
3 September: new Free St Leonard’s opens for worship

1900
Union of Free Church of Scotland and United Presbyterian Church: congregation now known as St Leonard’s United Free Church

1929
Union (re-union) of Church of Scotland and United Free Church of Scotland. To avoid confusion, the original St Leonard’s (King Street) is now known as St Leonard’s Parish Church, while St Leonard’s United Free Church becomes St Leonard’s in the Fields Church of Scotland

1982
Union between St Leonard’s in the Fields Church of Scotland and Trinity Church of Scotland (formed in 1937 as a union of three congregations, with roots going back to 1786) Charge now known as St Leonard’s in the Fields and Trinity Church of Scotland

2008
Linkage with St John’s Kirk of Perth Congregational name reverts to St Leonard’s in the Fields Church of Scotland